Fuel Allowance

A Fuel Allowance is a payment under the National Fuel Scheme to help with the cost of heating your home. It is paid to people who are dependant on long-term social welfare or Health Service Executive (HSE) payments and who are unable to provide for their own heating needs.

The scheme operates for 32 weeks from September to the end of April.

Only one payment is paid to a household.

You may qualify for a fuel allowance if you are getting:

  • State Pension (Contributory) or State Pension (Non-Contributory)
  • State Pension (Transition)
  • Widow’s or Widower’s (Contributory) Pension or Widow’s or Widower’s (Non-Contributory) Pension
  • Incapacity Supplement under the Occupational Injuries Benefit scheme
  • Blind Pension
  • Invalidity Pension
  • Disability Allowance
  • Deserted Wife’s Benefit or Allowance
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • Guardian’s Payment (Contributory) or Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory)
  • Farm Assist
  • Pre-Retirement Allowance
  • Prisoner’s Wife’s Allowance
  • Long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance (15 months)
  • Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance
  • Social Security Pension from an EE/EEA country or a country with whom Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement
  • Special Department of Defence Allowance
  • You are taking part in Back to Work Allowance (BTWA), Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA), Rural Social Scheme, Revenue Job Assist or FÁS Community Employment and are entitled to keep your secondary benefits


You live alone or only with:

  • A dependent spouse/partner and/or dependent children
  • Other people getting one of the qualifying payments who would also be eligible for a Fuel Allowance in their own right
  • A person who gives you full-time care and attention if you have a disability
  • Person(s) getting short-term Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Person getting Carer’s Allowance


You and other members of your household are unable to provide for your heating needs from your own resources.

You will not qualify for a Fuel Allowance if:

  • Your heating needs are met under a deed transferring property
  • You live with someone who is not getting one of the qualifying payments for the Fuel Allowance
  • In the case of non means-tested payments, you and members of your household have savings and investments of more than €58,000 or a combined weekly income of more than €100 above the appropriate maximum State Pension (Contributory) for your situation.

Download your application form here: Fuel Allowance Form

Senator Joe O'Reilly representing Cavan & Monaghan 2010. | An ExSite website