Everyone aged 66 and over living permanently in Ireland, is entitled to the free travel scheme. Certain people under that age are also entitled. In some cases, a free companion pass may be available to allow a person to accompany the free travel pass holder. If you qualify for free travel, you will be issued with a pass that you must carry with you when using public transport.
Free travel is available on all State public transport (bus, rail and Dublin’s LUAS service). Free travel is also available on a limited number of services that are operated by private bus transport companies. Private bus transport operators that have opted in to the Free Travel scheme, accept free travel passes.
You may be entitled to free travel if you are permnamently living in the State and:
- You are aged 66 or over
- You are getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Carer’s Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Social Protection.
- You are in residential care approved by the Health Service Executive and getting Disability Allowance
- You have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen’s Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months
- You are blind or visually impaired and meet the medical conditions for Blind Pension
- You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from the Department
- You are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months
- You are a widow or widower aged 60 or over whose late spouse held a free travel pass and who is getting one of the following payments: State Pension (Transition), Widow’s/Widower’s (Contributory) Pension, Widow’s/Widower’s (Non-Contributory) Pension, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow’s/Widower’s Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme or a similar social security pension/benefit from an EU member state or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement, or an ordinary Garda widow’s pension.
Download your form here: Free Travel Application Form